Monday 27 November 2017

Third Meeting, Nov 2nd, week 1


During this third meeting, we had the opportunity to ask Björn, the course leader, about our target group question, whether it's possible to develop a product for "everyone" or not.

The following things were lifted in that discussion:
  • Use situations with phone games and PC are very different
  • Economics are also very different (ads in game for phone for example, but not the same for PC games)
  • Uncommon combination
  • More common to first release on one platform, then on phone later
  • Can be cool: 2 very different revenue streams
  • Market plan very different
  • Some people could exist on both platforms, but would they buy it twice? Probably not. (or you get it free on the other?)
  • Just because we can do it technically doesn’t mean we should.
  • Not compromise too early, make first release as good as possible (If they can share platform with as little addition as possible, maybe)

Based on this discussion, we talked a bit more, and decided to develop for PC first, with the main target group "people like us".

At the end of this meeting we planned the next meeting date, and what things we needed to do till then, and divided these thing between us, in the following way:

  • State of the art (Conrad + Benjamin, Antoine)
  • Set up of Eclipse project + github (Daniel)
  • Prepare story line/clone types/level brainstorming (Alexander + Benjamin, Antonio)
  • Look into time plan and milestones (Emmeli)

At this point I added the presentation plan to the timeline, improved and divided up what we had already written the day before in more detailed and organized categories.

During this first week, I took it upon myself to organize the group work, and document it, which I had also already started doing. Not because I think the others couldn't do it, however maybe I had a little more experience and felt a little more at ease with taking charge of it this early. And I didn't want to wait too long with starting these things, because the sooner, the better.
Also, Conrad who had expressed interest in project leading also has some design interests, which I think will be needed later. And since I've worked with him before, we have a pretty good understanding of how we work together. He knows what I'm good at and I know what he's good at, so I knew he would trust my judgment.
Additionally, I know the reason it might be slow at the start might be that we don't really know where we have each other yet, but since this project is to be done in such a short time, we really needed to get everything up and running quickly, and that includes how the group works internally.
One thing I thought about was if I we needed to define roles such as project leader, or if we could work without it, and just have an informal leader or project organizer. I decided to see how it worked during the first week without formal roles, and keep thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment